Poetry : Dear Patron of the Arts - 2004

Dear Patron of the Arts

My poetry tonight is not being brought to you by Verizon. No donations from cooperate sponsors has occurred, nor has my poetry been used in correlation with any ad campaign for Nike, Puma, Vidal Sassoon, Mc Donald's or Coke Cola, but this should not affect public opinion of these products and services. Nothing was received from the N.E.A., or accepted. The Carnegie Foundation is not involved, and no grant was awarded from any non-profit organizations or publications that make such claims as to the legitimacy of my work in comparison to their poetry contests and/or prizes awarded.

Additionally, no mutual funds or brokerage firms were consulted or called upon to raise assets. No private or public offerings were formulated on the NYSE, nor were donations set aside by anonymous benefactors. No money was funneled, collected into bogus and/or fraudulent accounts established in advance, and without your knowledge. Secretly structured by organized poets like me, determined to separate you from your earnings by suggesting that my poetry is sound, its value is not over inflated and is worth listening to.

Later, I'll doctor the records, but only after it is concluded that my poetry resonated with miss leading information and under the investigation, included words suggesting fraudulent active, which I may not agree with, but believe was missed by an outside consulting firm. In actuality, my work contained no poetry whatsoever. This gross error was an over-site. The fact that it was appreciated by professionals, but they did not read the blank pages, which were simply overlooked.

Finally in a court of law, I'll claim and inform you that I was ignorant of such transactions, I had no knowledge of this activity and cannot recall if I actually had been writing poetry at all. You may conclude from this that I am also stupid for suggesting that you are as dumb as me, but I will agree with you that those responsible should pay, and be held accountable for their actions.

Sincerely,

Richard McDowell